Remember when your mother told you the importance of making a good first impression? Well, the best realtors understand the importance too. The first thing a potential buyer sees is the presentation of the home from the street and a big part of that is the landscaping. A well planned and maintained garden will go a long way in enhancing this initial impression. Here are a few easy tips that won’t cost you an arm and a leg.
- Fertilize the lawn. Use a fertilizer high in nitrogen for a quick green up.
- Prune and fertilize all the shrubs and trees.
- Rip out any half dead plants. Less is more.
- Add some simple urns or pots full of flowers on each side of the front door
- Create a small flower bed near the street if you don’t already have one
- Mow the lawn.
- Window boxes with colorful flowers are always a nice touch
- Add a mulch layer to all beds.
These simple steps should be relatively inexpensive if you don’t mind performing the labor yourself.
One other thought: some landscapers may be willing to do the work for you with the understanding that they will get paid when you sell the home. It can’t hurt to ask.