Are Square Watermellons Cool or Bizarre? Help me decide.

by Rees Cowden on May 5, 2008 · 15 comments

in All Posts,Cool Stuff,Kids,Veggies & Fruits

square watermellon

I’m not usually one to fall for gimmicks or the newest and greatest thing so I’m not sure how to react to square watermelons. I think they are kinda cool and could be a fun thing to do, especially if you are looking for a way to get kids interested in gardening but part of me thinks they are just a bit weird. Maybe something that is as perfect as a ripe watermelon shouldn’t be messed with. Let me know what you think.

Is Mother Nature best left to her own plans in this case? If the response is more positive than negative I’ll provide details on how to grow one yourself.

Rees Cowden

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Bob May 5, 2008 at 2:29 pm

Mmmm well don’t know if I’ll buy a square melon’s! They tried square tomato’s a few years back hoping to help in shipping and packaging, BUT, customers and I was one just would not buy square tomato’s.

Amy May 6, 2008 at 3:09 am

Cool, but I wouldn’t buy/eat them. Would be too worried about what other weird stuff they did to them!

deb May 7, 2008 at 1:27 am

Rees, my boys are in here with me right now ohing and ahhing over the square watermelon. There is a lot of OMG (they really talk like that). We grew cucumber in a bottle one time just for fun. We vote cool.

Rees May 7, 2008 at 12:19 pm

I think I’m leaning towards cool also Deb and Amy, I would probably buy at least one to try it out but I think after the novelty wears off I would probably revert back to the “old fashion’ round ones :) …did you know watermellon in Spanish is sandia?

Rees

Ps. Bob I agree that square tomatoes are dumb. They would only work on a Wendys burger.

Dan May 7, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Well, at least everyone can get an equal slice of watermelon even if you get an end piece!
It’s cool but cruel to the melon. Reminds me of how good veal is produced. Lol!

Plantdiva May 8, 2008 at 12:49 am

What do we have to look forward to in Holloween? Square Jack-O-Lanterns? Wait don’t steal my idea!

James May 8, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Too cool, It just seems crazy to see it. I would think it would be easier to eat!

Shala May 8, 2008 at 7:21 pm

If you cut the watermelon in half you wouldn’t have to worry about it rocking all over the place. You would have a nice sturdy melon to dig right in.

Rees May 8, 2008 at 9:44 pm

You might be right James but I keep picturing myself trying to get that last taste of red out of the corners….You bring up a good point Shala, round watermellons do have a tendency to be hard to cut sometimes.
Hey Plantdiva…I already thought of that :) ….I’m on to you girl.

Kim May 8, 2008 at 11:41 pm

i am with you on the bizarre-ness and don’t usually like to see things in a shape other than what they should be, but i like these

James May 9, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Rees – thanks for posting this, been looking at your blog for a lil bit today already. Feel free to stop by ours.

maggie May 12, 2008 at 5:45 pm

I’ve never thought about markings on a watermelon before, but somehow seeing all of these square ones together…like zebras or giraffes…every one’s different! I agree with Amy, some things need to stay the way they are!!

Compostings May 16, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Well I think it looks cool and wouldn’t really have a problem with buying or eating it so long as it was not created with yucky chemicals or bizarre genetic manipulation (beyond artificial selection by the grower).

Anna May 17, 2008 at 6:46 am

Great for kids but not for me. I’m old fashioned. I like the looks of the natural shape. But this might look good on a party table or a special event like wedding etc.

Gerri May 28, 2008 at 5:26 am

I kind of like them.. I vote cool.