Poison plants that can kill your dog (or cat) or can at least make them very sick.

by Rees on November 19, 2010 · 7 comments

in Animals and Pets,Flowers & Trees,Kids,Problems and Solutions

It’s that time of year again when many gardeners are planting bulbs and tubers in anticipation of their beautiful spring blossoms. That is, at least those proactive gardeners are doing this. I tend to forget to plant my new bulbs until I see the interesting flowers in spring and then kick myself for neglecting to add something new to my collection. This year might be different because I got a nice reminder recently. It just so happens I was in the veterinarian’s office for my pup, Hercules, (see photo below) for his annual check-up. On the waiting room wall I found a list of plants that can poison your dogs and cats, and I was really surprised to see so many bulbs on the list.

When I got home I did a little more research and found that there is no need to panic and rip everything out of your garden; however, there are certain plants you may want to avoid planting.

From what I have learned, death from eating plants is very rare for full-grown canines. It’s puppies and cats that are at the most risk. Ingesting enough of some of these poisonous plants can actually kill the little ones or, at the very least, make them very sick. I’m all for having a beautiful garden, but why risk losing a beloved pet?

I’ve concentrated on mostly poison bulbs and tubers in this post, but in my upcoming eBook Plants that are Poisonous to Your Pets I’ll provide a very complete list of plants, herbs and bulbs that can harm your dog or cat along with photos and emergency remedies for both outdoor and indoor plants. I’ll also share some secrets on how to prevent your pup from digging up newly planted bulbs.

Here is a list of some of the common garden plants that can make pets sick or worse. After each entry is a list of symptoms your pet may exhibit after ingesting the plant or its flowers:

Please use the following plants sparingly and only in protected areas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Autumn Crocus Crocus Bulbs

  • o Severe vomiting
  • o Gastrointestinal bleeding
  • o Liver and Kidney Damage
  • o Shock

AzaleaAzaleas

  • o Severe vomiting
  • o Diarrhea
  • o Drooling
  • o Coma and Death

Hyacinth bulbsHyacinth

  • o Severe vomiting
  • o Diarrhea
  • o Drooling

Tulip BulbsTulip Bulbs

  • o Severe vomiting
  • o Diarrhea
  • o Drooling

CyclamenCyclamen

  • o Severe vomiting
  • o Diarrhea
  • o Drooling
  • o Heart Arrhythmias

Sago PalmSago

  • o Severe vomiting
  • o Bloody Stools
  • o Damage to the stomach lining
  • o Severe Liver failure
  • o Death

KalanchoeKalanchoe

  • o Severe vomiting
  • o Diarrhea
  • o Heart arrhythmias
  • o Metrological signs

Oleander

  • o Severe vomiting
  • o Abnormal Heart rate
  • o Death
  • o Shock
  • o Weakness

Daffodil Bulbs

  • o Severe vomiting
  • o Diarrhea
  • o Abdominal Pain
  • o Abnormal heart rate
  • o Changes in respiration

Lilies

  • o Highly toxic to cats
  • o Severe kidney failure

According to the veterinarians at the ASPCA, the best emergency response if you suspect your pet has been poisoned is to contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center hotline at (888) 426-4435.

If your pet is having seizures or losing consciousness, rush them to the nearest veterinary office. If you want more information you can find it here on the  ASPCA website or call the Pet Poison Hotline number mentioned above.

One final thought – Even if you don’t have pets of your own, your neighbors might. And don’t forget about all of the wild animals and birds. If you must uses some of these plants in your garden, please use them with great caution and care. If you are stumped for a substitute I can always suggest a safe alternative. All you have to do is ask. ☺

Rees

PET POISON HOTLINE  (888) 426-4435

{ 1 trackback }

Is Mistletoe Poisonous to Dogs and Cats?
December 24, 2010 at 7:10 am

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

danielle copeland November 23, 2010 at 1:17 am

Hi there. Down here in Southeast Florida, we watch out for oleander (which you mentioned) and also angel’s trumpet (brugmansia). Perhaps our biggest trouble is still bufo toad.

It’s awesome you moved to France and are still gardening! Be sure to try Marie Brizard. We import it to the US…gotta love Marie Brizard Watermelon Liquer with OJ and vodka…it’s called a Cantaloupe Martini. Cheers!

Rees November 23, 2010 at 11:31 am

Hi Danielle,
Thanks for the reminder on the Brugmansia. It’s too bad because the flowers are really cool. I’ll make sure it’s on the list in my completed book.
As for the toad, I’ve heard about them but have never ran into one and thanks for the heads-up on the Cantaloupe drink. Any that ends in martini has to be good :)
Rees

emily September 23, 2011 at 7:42 pm

can milk weed kill a puppy the size of a chawoawoa

amanda March 30, 2012 at 9:32 pm

my puppy keeps eating a plant in my yard i don’t know what it is but if afraid she will get sick so what do i do?

Sherry February 22, 2013 at 2:53 am

Saved my very loved dog, after eating 23 no-dose, Vet said it my be to late, hold her head up and pour warm salt water and should vomit. This did work…. This should work for other problems too. (Not a Vet, ask your vet)

Rees March 14, 2013 at 9:12 am

Thanks for the tips Sherry.
Rees

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post:

Web Design Pakistan
Business logos
Business logo design
Logo design service
Logo design blog
Logo design Asia
Corporate logo design
Free article directory
Free article directory
Free article directory
Free articles
Accountancy
Accountancy forum
Accounting news
Accounting Bookshop
Design news and Articles
Free Hit Counter
Free Coupons, Discount Code
Laptop Coupons
TV Coupons
Web design Karachi